NNAS Silver Award Fastrack
Develop your skills faster
This course has been developed to take you from complete beginner to the NNAS Silver award in four days. It is aimed at people who enjoy the challenge of learning a new skill in a relatively short space of time and it’s a great way to accelerate your journey on the NNAS pathway. No previous experience is necessary, however if you wish to sample some navigation training first, then why not join one our Introduction to Navigation sessions before committing to this course.
- Map symbols and scales
- Orientating the map
- Using a compass to take bearings, check orientation etc.
- Estimating distance on both map and ground
- Interpreting contours, including large and small features
- Measuring grid references
- Developing a strategy for a leg, including appropriate techniques
- Employing relocation techniques
- Planning a suitable walk in suitable terrain
- Awareness of access rights and responsibility towards other countryside users
- Emergency procedures
The course will take place within a 30 minute drive of Inverness (full details will be available in your joining instructions)
- No previous experience required, just a willingness to learn
- Reasonable level of fitness (we will be on foot all day, for 4 consecutive days, sometimes on uneven ground, with moderate ascents/descents)
Knowledge after course
By the end of this 4-day course, students will have amassed a wide range of navigation skills and techniques, allowing them to navigate with confidence to features and places some distance from paths and tracks, including cross-country travel.
- Detailed tuition from an experienced instructor
- Use of appropriate OS mapping
- NNAS Silver Award on successful completion of course
What you need to bring
- Waterproof jacket and trousers
- Sturdy, waterproof footwear
- Small daysack with packed lunch
- Suitable baseplate compass (we would recommend a Silva Type 4)
A full recommended kit list will be included in your joining instructions.
To book a place on this course, please contact us by email or phone.
A 20% deposit is required to secure a place and the full balance of payment will be required no later than 6 weeks prior to the commencement of the course.